Reasons Why Grass-Fed Meat is Best:
- Delicious, mild flavor; tender meat.
- No antibiotics in feed; no added hormones.
- Lower fat than grain finished (and therefore lower calorie).
- Raised and finished on pesticide-free and herbicide-free pasture. (Some hay may be used in low pasture growth season.)
- 2 to 6 times more omega 3 fatty acids than grain finished meat. (People with diets rich in omega 3s have lower risk of high blood pressure, irregular heart rhythms, and certain mental disorders. They have half the likelihood of dying from heart attack or stroke, and may be less vulnerable to cancer.)
- CLA is higher in grass fed meat. (Conjugated linoleic acid helps convert fat to lean muscle and shows promise to reduce cancer growth.)
- Grass fed animals are richer in beta-carotene (linked to lower risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease).
- Grass fed meat lowers your risk of becoming infected with pathogenic e. coli bacteria.
Adapted from: Robinson, Jo. 2000. Why Grassfed is Best: The surprising Benefits of Grassfed Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Products. Vashon Island Press, Vashon, Washington. See her website www.eatwild.com for more information.